Monday 26 September 2011

The Wrap Up of my time spent with Mahadi

My time with Mahadi on Friday wrapped up all too fast:

I let Mahadi pick his shirt to wear in the morning. We got dressed and proceeded to walk out the door of my guesthouse room and the key was jammed. I have a major phobia of being locked in a room and started to panic, as the key would not turn nor come out of the lock. I was attempting to stay calm as I grabbed my phone to look up the number of the guest house, I didn't want to resort to banging on the door like a maniac, but that was about to come next as I looked at the windows and realized they were covered with iron bars, the terror of the building being on fire (even though it wasn't), was getting close to pushing me over the edge, luckily it didn't phase Mahadi one bit. The guest house staff came right up and opened up the adjoining room to my room and let us out as they figured out why my key was stuck.

After breakfast we spent some time reading, counting, singing Head n Shoulders, Knees n Toes, and barking like a big dog. There are many guard dogs in this neighborhood and boy do they bark. Mahadi's impression is priceless. Jack arrived to pick us up and Mahadi ran right into Jack's arms and gave him the biggest hug.

We started to make our way back to the orphanage, but not before we stopped to pick up deworming medicine from the pharmacy. Jack and I both think Mahadi could have worms again, as he nearly eats everything insight and he sort of has the tell tale belly but not as bad as he used to have.

As we drove closer to the orphanage Mahadi's demeanor changed, he got quiet again and was taking everything in, like he knew he was going back. Jack asked him "Mahadi- do you love Ja-Ja?" and Mahadi shook his head no. Jack then asked "Mahadi- do you love Mama April?" and he shook his head yes. That is when flood works started with me. Do I really think he doesn't love his Ja-Ja, no I don't. But I'm well aware that the attention I was able to give him was much different than the attention his Ja-Ja is able to give him.

We stopped and fed him lunch, this time the restaurant only had matooke, rice and groundnuts (basically liquid peanut sauce). Many times restaurants in Africa only have what is available to them based on what they can afford to buy, so they may not have chicken and beef everyday.

At the gate of A Greater Life we were met by many children, Emmy (one of the teachers) and Ja-Ja. They were all very excited to see him, I immediately started crying. We pulled out his mattress, new clothes and 6 soccer balls I had picked up on the way to the orphanage. We went to make his new bed, actually Emmy made his new bed. A lot of times Africans think Muzungus can't do certain things, like make beds or wash clothes by hand. When I told them I had washed Mahadi's uniform the night before, they were in complete shock that I knew how to wash, it's kind of amusing.

Jack had thought it would be a good idea to make sure Mahadi was playing and didn't see us leave, but it didn't happen that way. He was my side all the way, even climbing back into the car. Luckily, he was a happy little boy as we left, I'm not sure if he could fully comprehend that I would be gone for awhile.

Ja-ja continued to thank me profusely and at one point telling Jack that the money I spent God would bless me and He would in some way replace the money I had spent on Mahadi. As Ja-Ja was saying her final goodbyes to me, here eyes filled with tears, it was a moment I will not forget in the near future.

I climbed in the car, all the kids waving goodbye and we drove away.

I know what you will say next: Why don't you adopt him? You need to be his mother! Bring him back to the States!

I'm going to tackle this INCREDIBLY difficult issue in my next blog.

Again thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment