Wednesday 21 November 2012

Wonder World and other highlights

---Taking Mahadi to Wonder World, which Judy and I dubbed What the What World? A Ugandan amusement park with seriously outdated carnival rides and attendants who start the rides and then walk away....or rides who are unattended and a pack of hooligan children overtakes the ride...we thought for sure someone was losing an arm.

Saying to Mahadi "Who's the Boss?' He then says "you" (points to me).

Continuously asking Mahadi if he loves Judy....always no....but wait unless Judy has stickers, rice or fruit ninjas (iphone game).

Playing "Can you show me a black car? or Can you show me a white care. can you show me a policeman?" etc in the car.

Saying I love you to Mahadi and he now just flashes the number two...but then sometimes we get into I LOVe You TEN. etc.

Judy and I have arts and crafts day at Mahadi's school and almost dy in a mob of children who want pens or pencils...note to self show up at school with pre sharpened pencils and enough for each kid.

Negotiating with the pineapple man for 30 pineapple so the kids could have pineapple on Monday.

Watching Mahadi pick up my big camera and shoot away...he's a got a future as paparazzi.

Mahadi being silly as he drinks a fanta and says "ahhhhhh" after each sip.

Mahadi and his mood swings...from sweet happy little boy to an obstinate donkey.

Mahadi playing with his cars in the morning as I lay in bed wishing it was not 6:30am but so overcome with happiness I don't care I'm exhausted.

Trying to learn how to become an "African" parent and not an "American" parent...you know not panicking when your child is out of your eyesight..

Having dinner with Mahadi's grandma and teacher tonight in her two bedroom home under a lantern.

Watching Mahadi strip down to his swim shorts so quick I hardly knew was what was happening when he saw the pool...tonight his teacher says he had never been swimming...

writing this blog under mosquito net as mahadi snores like a wart hog and listening to other kids at the school sing praise songs....

and finally teasing Mahadi that his stomach is as big as a jackfruit and then thumping on it like a watermelon....

No comments:

Post a Comment