Monday 7 December 2009

218

A week from today I’ll be departing on probably one of the most pivotal trips taken in my life so far. Since I decided to travel to Gulu with Jen, it’s interesting how much I’ve thought about how and where I sleep.

My random thoughts:
“Mmmm hello lovely king size plush linen hotel bed”
“Ahhhh so good to be home in my double bed tonight”
“How many times must I get up to pee in the middle of the night?”
“One pillow for my head, one for my legs, one to hug”
“I’m getting old, sleeping past 6:30AM is becoming a challenge”

But along with those random thoughts come thoughts of how many people in the world sleep:

-Orphans in Moldova sleeping on 50 year old mattresses that have every kind of human matter saturated on them for years.
-Orphans in Haiti sleeping on bed springs, YES just the springs.
-Night Commuters, Child Soldiers, Invisible Children (many different names for the children of Northern Uganda) sleeping on dirt floors.
-A Kenyan man in the Kibera slum sprinking sugar on his mattress, to draw the bugs out, so he can kill them and have a good night’s sleep.

We as Americans are so blessed. Roofs over our heads. Food in the Fridge. Beds to sleep in. Clean Water. Access to free education. What else do we as humans need? And why is it so hard for all of us to not have the same opportunity? The questions continue to roll, but stop to remind myself to focus on one challenge at a time, otherwise my head would spin off my neck.

Everyday I’m inspired by people like Greg Mortensen (founder of Central Asia Institute, author of Three Cups of Tea and newly released Stones into Schools) and Jen Gash (my dear friend and founder of Sweet Sleep), along with countless others who choose one goal to make some kind of difference to improve the lives of someone less fortunate than them whether its in their own community or half way around the world.

Next week, is going to be a big week 450 beds will begin to be placed in child headed households…yes that’s right children head the households. Of the 1 million displaced people in Gulu, 750,000 are children. I’ll blog more later on this week about the history of Northern Uganda.

Today I’m asking you how you can help us complete our mission:

218 more children still need beds ($88 each). Together, you and I can work to change and save lives. Here’s what is still needed, you can determine which opportunity suits you best:
• 218 mosquito nets. Malaria kills more people in Uganda than HIV/AIDS. Treated nets are $8 each.
• Mattresses for 218 children so they will be able to sleep up off of the ground for the first time in their lives. Mattresses are $50.
• Can you imagine not having a blanket to warm you during these chilly nights or sheets to sleep in? 218 more children still need to be able to be warm and snuggly. They can for just $30.

You can make a gift right now by going to www.sweetsleep.org/donate or you can send your contributions to Sweet Sleep, 308 Timmons St, Nashville, TN 37211with “AJG 1209” in the special comments box online or in the memo line of your check. All gifts are 100% tax-deductible. If you still need a great idea for a Christmas gift, you can even make this a donation in honor or memory of someone and they’ll receive a card from Sweet Sleep telling about their special gift. You can read more about this at www.sweetsleep.org/givethegift.


Lots of Love,


April

No comments:

Post a Comment