Thursday 7 August 2008

Week in Review

Week In Review-

I’ve been here a week in Beijing and I’m close to becoming a “Beijinger”….okay so I have a lot to work on to become an official “Beijinger”. But here’s the latest-

I now know how to say:

Good Morning
Good Afternoon
Good Night
How are you?
Cookie
April (though I’m still working on that one)
Excuse Me
Beer 

Everyone I have met so far in China has been so smiley and accommodating. The hotel staff is amazing and always willing to help. We have local college students we are using at the Hospitality Desk and on the buses. They are so willing to learn

I’ve tried to get out of the hotel as much as I can but it’s mostly been at night. The other night 6 of us on the team headed out to the Hoa Hai district for a little drinking, dinner and dancing. It’s a great area there are a ton of restaurants and clubs lining a small lake, great atmosphere. We ate at this restaurant tucked away off the main drag called the “No Name Restaurant”. The food was fantastic, a bit spicy, but really good. We then stopped at a club and shook our tail feather! It was a blast it was like the 6 of us and maybe 4 other “foreigners”, the rest were all Chinese. They had a stripper pole on the dance floor so myself and another girl were demonstrating our skills and the Chinese girls loved it, so we convinced them to do the same thing. We were dancing with them and laughing it was so much fun!!

The other day we had to go back up to the Wall to do another site inspection of the venue we are using on our way back we stopped at restaurant along the way. There they fish out a fish for you, beat it to death and then fry it up…it was SOOOO yummy! Some of the best traditional Chinese food I’ve ever had and yes Paula the head was still attached, but it was good. I’ll post photos of lunch soon! As we were driving back into the city, we came across 4 cyclists with helmets (which in China no one where’s helmets) I jokingly said “look the Cycling team” as I’m saying that I turn to look closely and it was in fact TEAM USA. I didn’t get a shot because we drove by too fast and I didn’t have my camera out. I know I know..

However, during the games we will be having these Olympics eating off the buffets in my client’s hospitality suite:
Paul and Morgan Hamm
Wallace Spearman
The Lopezes
Some guy named Michael Phelps 
The US women’s tennis team….yes Venus, Serena, etc.

In general as a staff person it is inappropriate to approach any of these athletes other than to make sure they have everything they need. I personally would not ask for autographs, but maybe photographs…..but it will be on a case by case basis.

I’m sure I’ll have some good stories along the way.

Today I actually got out of the hotel during the day. I ran a few errands with another TD and I drove past Tianamen Square and Forbidden City. I’ll be sure to hit up both of those places.

Tomorrow the Games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment