Friday 5 September 2008

I am a Balinese Fisherwoman!

My wake up call came early today 4:45am to be exact. You ask "You're on vacation, right? Why in the world would you get up that early while on holiday?" And I would reply "to go fishing of course". Yes that's right to go fishing of course.

So we head down to the beach, it's a long walk, about 20 feet to the black sand. And negotiate with the fisherman on how much they will charge us to take us out on the boat. A whopping 150,000 rupiah or about 13 dollars. There is three of us- myself, Silvia and Made (pronounced Mah day) so we have to take two boats. Sarah wasn't feeling well so she stayed behind. We hop into the boats and onto the dark water. Remember its 5am and its DARK! Like the stars are still out and the moon is nowhere to be found DARK! I'd be lying if I didn't say it wasn't a little scary. I mean its a boat, with no lights, no lifepreservers and driven by a man who speaks no English. The boat is like a sailboat/catamaran and small with a ginormous sail and we are moving. Hauling ass across the Indian Ocean. Along with thousands and I do mean thousands of other boats very similar to the one I'm in.

In the meantime while the sail is flapping and I'm trying to stay in the boat, the fisherman is dropping a long line of fishing wire with a hook about every foot or so into the water. Then the sun starts to peek over the horizon and the sails of the other boats appear and it is gorgeous!

The fisherman starts reeling in his line and there are 10 inch mackerel coming in off the line and he's dropping them into the bottom of the boat. 30 minutes go by, I look down and realize my flip flops are floating in fish blood and guts. Mmmmmm yummy.

After an hour and a half we head back with all the other boats, to our respective shores.

It was quite the experience, I did take many photos with my point and shoot. It's probably good my slr is broken, because it would have gotten soaking wet.

More tomorrow or later on today, I must get back to my book or maybe I'll take a nap first.

No comments:

Post a Comment