Tuesday 17 November 2009

As My Life Turns.....

In my life the things I’ve been meant to do have come easily. As a young girl, I fell in love with California and knew when I was “old” (in my young mind, 30 was old back then) I would move to California.

Right after college, I took a job as a Manager in Training at Family Video (a local Central Illinois video store). I lasted one day. I had to drive from Taylorville back to Jacksonville, on the way home, I decided to stop in Springfield and tell my parents the news. I was NOT cut out to be a manager in training at a video store. My parents weren’t terribly shocked from the news and completely supportive of my decision. I called my roommate back in Jacksonville to tell her that I wouldn’t be coming home for the night, she said “I’m so glad you called- Heather from the Fun Company (a company I had worked for in the summer that year) called, you HAVE to call her back tonight, there’s a job in their California office”. You could say the rest was history…I called Heather that night, interviewed for the job a few days later, 2 weeks after that I was in my red GMC Jimmy, with my roommate, Mary in the passenger seat, U-Haul hitched to the back, cruising out to Sacramento. Really, it was as simple as that, I was 23 and was living in California.

Some day over a beer, I’ll tell you about how homesick I was at the age of 23 and the huge panic attack I had, after Mary left and I realized I was out in Sacramento, essentially left alone to my own devices. It’s really an amusing story, but doesn’t serve it’s purpose here.

After 8 months in Sacramento, my contract was up and I moved to LA to live with a good family friend. I landed an interview with a not to be named large incentive house based in St. Louis. I thought I was destined for the job. I didn’t get it. I was devastated for a day, but I brushed myself off and decided that was God’s way of telling me I was meant to stay in California.

A few months of temping as an HR Assistant (which can I tell you…me and Human Resources…yeah don’t really mix, the whole following the rules thing), I was sending my resume out all over California from San Francisco to San Diego. In late February of 2001, I was contacted by a company called The Event Team in San Diego, they were looking for an Office Manager. I drove down, I interviewed and completely envisioned myself in their office. A few short days later, I was told I didn’t get the job. Yet, I could see myself in the office, I recovered from the news and continued plugging away. A couple of weeks later, Lani Ryan from The Event Team calls me, says she heard the office liked me (she had been out of the country when I was interviewing) and there was now an Operations Manager position open….would I be interested? A few short weeks later, I was moving to San Diego to work for The Event Team in a position that was better suited to my experience. This is where I could tell you about how I met my roommates or my best friend Paula (it’s her turn to tell the story), but I’ll save those stories for another blog.


Fast forward through 2004 to 2008, I decided it was time to move from Chicago, but I wasn’t sure where. Jen (whom I’ve known for 15 years- which let me tell you, you are going to want to stay tuned to this blog when I discuss “the cast” of this trip to Uganda) mentioned she was looking for a roommate in Nashville and I was looking for a place where it didn’t snow. A perfect opportunity was presented to us both.

Here we are 11 months into being roommates, I’ve decided to accompany Jen on this trip to Uganda, I told Jen two things I would raise $5,000 and I was going to do a photography project with the children we worked with in Uganda. I was confident if I approached friends and family for donations they would come forward and many of you have pledged and for that I’m very grateful. A colleague of mine, her client donated 6 brand new digital cameras for me to take on this trip to use for my photography project. Another dear friend hooked me up with Indigo Restaurant and hopefully a soon to be named coffee shop in Springfield will allow me to display my prints for sale while I’m home during Thanksgiving. Another friend is making it her personal goal to raise funds for a total of 2 beds and yet another is posting a flyer I’ve created to post on her hospital unit.

The point of these stories, is to illustrate, how things in my life that are supposed to happen, happen with ease, doors open and opportunities are presented. Some would say it’s God’s plan, others would say I’m lucky. I’d it's both. I’ve been very blessed with many wonderful opportunities in my life. Some of you know I’m far from a religious person these days (again another blog), but the one thing that has never waivered is my blind faith in trusting that what is happening in my life is serving a purpose that may or may not be apparent to me.

Our trip is just four very short weeks away and the money we raise in order to complete our mission needs to be raised in two weeks (we must allow time for wiring the cash to the vendors we will use in country for the beds). Unless, Jen and I want to roll into Uganda with serious wads of cash strapped to our body, which could present for a really interesting entry in a few weeks.

As I’m writing this blog, Jen just posted on Facebook we need funding for 325 more beds. A bed in Gulu costs $88, if you’re in a financial situation to sponsor one or more or even the cost of 1/4 of a bed. You can visit www.sweetsleep.org to donate online or you can mail a check to Sweet Sleep 308 Timmons St. Nashville, TN 37211. If you reference AJG1209 in the memo, I will receive credit, but it’s not the credit I’m concerned about, reaching our goal is my focus. Ultimately, I’d like to know who donates on my behalf, so after our trip I can properly thank each and everyone of you.

To all of you I’m grateful for listening to my plea and supporting us on this amazing journey to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment