Wednesday 11 November 2009

Original Email- the reason Why I'm going to Uganda.

I just realized this blog doesn't tell you about why I'm going to Uganda. So in case you didn't receive the email or see the note on Facebook. Here is the email I sent out today. Apologies to those that have read it.

Dear Friends and Family,

I hope this email finds you well in both health and spirit. Many of you know, two years ago I quit my full time job, to pursue both photography and philanthropy. While both have been slow to manifest, this year both are starting to pick up pace.

I have been blessed with the opportunity to travel with my long time friend and current roommate Jen Gash to Gulu, Uganda for 3 weeks, from December 14 to January 5. Jen founded Sweet Sleep 6 years ago as a project, building beds for orphans in the Eastern European country, Moldova. Over the past 6 years, Sweet Sleep has gone from a project- building beds for one Moldovan orphanage, to a full fledge non-profit organization building beds for multiple orphanages in Moldova and Uganda, with the potential of soon adding Haiti to the list of countries Sweet Sleep operates in.

Gulu, Uganda is home to approximately 1 million displaced Ugandans, with over 3/4 of them children in child headed households. Sweet Sleep is currently campaigning to raise $40,000 to begin placing beds along with mosquito nets in these child headed households. Above you will find two pictures of the current “mattresses” many children sleep on in Uganda (most children in Gulu sleep on the ground). Most Americans’ pets sleep on beds nicer than the old mattresses featured. The photograph in the middle is of beds Sweet Sleep placed in a Ugandan orphanage this summer.

While Jen and I are in Uganda we will place as many beds in huts that we have raised money for, we will also be working with other non-profits currently based in Gulu to determine where else beds can be placed and how else Sweet Sleep can make an impact in the lives of children living in Gulu. I will be photographing our trip daily and both Jen and I will be blogging about our experience. You will be able to follow me at www.gulleysadventures.blogspot.com. I’ve already begun blogging!

I also plan on taking over 5-6 inexpensive digital cameras. My plan is to allow children we come in contact with to shoot whatever they choose, I’m very interested to see their lives through their own eyes. I’m still developing this component of the trip, so stay tuned to my blog.

This of course is where you come in, I’ve pledged to Jen that I can raise $5,000. I understand that times are lean for many this year, but I have faith that this money can be raised.

Here are ways you can contribute:

Make a monetary donation to Sweet Sleep. It is tax deductible:
Write your check to Sweet Sleep and mail it to:
Sweet Sleep
308 Timmons St.
Nashville, TN 37211
Please be sure to put AJG1209 in the memo line.

In Illinois- Hire me the week of Thanksgiving to shoot your family portraits. In lieu of paying me, make a donation to Sweet Sleep.

If you own a business or know someone who’d be willing to donate a percentage of one day’s business’ profits, please contact me to discuss the details of how we can make that happen.

Purchase one of my photographs between now and the end of the year, all of the profits will go directly towards the funding of this mission. Click on the following link to see my photos for sale:
http://aprilgulley.zenfolio.com/

Please pass along this email to any friends or family you feel would be interested in Sweet Sleep.

If you have any other fun ways to help raise funds for this trip, I’m willing to listen to other ideas.

Due to luggage restrictions, etc donations for actual items are not currently being accepted.

However, if you do have a digital camera or other digital camera equipment you’d be willing to donate for the side component of our trip. I would love to speak with you further about the items in need.

You can also learn more about Sweet Sleep at www.sweetsleep.org

I thank you in advance for your consideration and contribution to this important mission.

Love,



April

No comments:

Post a Comment