Tuesday 10 November 2009

It's booked Dano!!

Woohoo!! Today I booked my ticket to Uganda!! I am sooooo excited!

About 2 months ago Jen (my roommate and founder of Sweet Sleep- www.sweetsleep.org) asked if I'd like to travel to Gulu, Uganda with her. I said "Absolutely! As long as I'm not offered any work during that time". About a month later I was offered work and I told Jen I would have to take the work over the trip to Gulu.

Two weeks ago, the client I would be working with mentioned the program was going to be pushed back a couple more weeks. As she was telling me this, I decided if the program was a complete cancel, it was a sign that I was to go to Uganda with Jen. Last week, I received the email that the program was pushed back further and they would not need my services for the pre-planning portion of the program. While, I was sad to lose the income, I almost bounded out of my seat, because I knew I was supposed to go to Uganda with Jen.

I sent Jen an email and said "hey I'm going to Uganda with you!" I then sent her an itinerary, telling her that if I was flying all the way to Africa I was flying on my preferred airline, which is American. Though we leave the states on separate flights, we actually meet up in Brussels, so we'll fly from Brussels to Entebbe, Uganda together. We both get our miles on our preferred airlines, it all works out!

We are going to be doing some really important work during our 3 week trip. Our current mission is to give over 400 beds/mosquito nets to the children of Gulu. As well as partnering with a couple of different organizations to determine how else Sweet Sleep can provide beds to more children in Gulu for their upcoming 2010 mission trips.

I of course will have camera in hand capturing every moment I can. I also have decided to take over with us a few donated point and shoot cameras to allow the children to shoot with, I'm very interested to see what transpires from this experiment.

Many of you know I do not want children, I've said that for decades....however, there's always been one caveat. I'd consider adopting a kid from a foreign country, I wanted to do it before Angelina and Madonna made it popular. I'm already fighting off the urge to bring a whole brood home with me....keep reminding me about how much my life would change would ya!!?!
I can't wait to hug on these kids. I know I am going to be forever changed after this trip, I can already feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment